Thursday, December 16, 2010

We Got Wood - Again!

Jim Hendry made a great move by signing Kerry Wood. Since the Ricketts family purchased that time machine, I'm assuming that the Cubs will be using it to bring back the 2003 version of Wood to be the number one starter they need, and that....I'm sorry, what did you say? The Cubs don't have access to a time machine? So you're telling me that the Cubs will be getting the 2011 version of Kerry Wood - a middle reliever who'll pitch about 70 innings next year, and not a staff ace. Well, that's not really going to help them make up 16 games in the standings next year, is it? In fact, if I were cynical, I'd say this is just a ploy by Jim Hendry - sign a popular former Cub to try to distract the fans from how bad the team is going to be in 2011. Oh, wait, I am a cynic, so that's exactly what I'm saying.

EDIT - it looks like the Cubs made a pretty good deal here: one year, $1.5 million. Especially when you consider that next year they'll be paying $4.8 million to John Grabow and $3.5 million to Jeff Samardzija to be much, much worse that Wood. But it still won't transform the Cubs into a good team, and it probably won't even make them into a mediocre team.

No comments:

Post a Comment